What is the National Engineering Competition for Girls?
The National Engineering Competition invites girls to solve the major challenges of the 21st century, showing how engineering makes a difference to people and the planet. Entering the competition is an opportunity to get creative, get thinking and most of all – have fun!
The competition is FREE to enter and offers girls the chance to win £500 for themselves and £500 for their school.
We want competition entrants to create a project that tells us how engineers can solve the challenges of the 21st century. This could be an original solution designed from scratch, or a project telling us what engineers are currently doing to solve the challenge. This could be an issue in the local area, or something on a global scale!
- £1,000 for the winner of each category! £500 for you (or shared between all team members) and £500 for your school.
- £300 for second place! (Prize money to be shared between all entrants for team entries)
- £150 for third place! (Prize money to be shared between all entrants for team entries)
- Trips to visit sponsors each year – all shortlisted finalists are invited to an exclusive trip to PepsiCo in spring; runners-up and winners visit Rolls-Royce in July!
- Engineering mentor for each category winner
- All competition entrants have the opportunity to get a Bronze, Silver or Gold CREST Award. Shortlisted finalists who qualify for the award will have their registration costs refunded by Talent 2030.
- All finalists will received complimentary membership to the Women’s Engineering Society.
- £150 for the best display at the Big Bang Fair: All shortlisted finalists will be invited to showcase their entries at the Big Bang Fair and £150 will be awarded to the best exhibition and project explanation on the day.
Who can enter?
• The competition is open to all female students in secondary education
• Girls can enter independently or through their schools
• There are 3 different age categories – 11-14 (Y7-9), 15-16 (Y10-11) and 17-18 (Y12-13)
• Girls can enter individually or in groups of up to 6
• Open to girls from all subject areas
• One entry per group/individual (schools can submit multiple entries but girls cannot)
- Competition entry open: 24 September 2018
- Competition entry deadline: 14 December 2018
- Big Bang Fair: All shortlisted finalists are invited to attend the Big Bang Fair in March 2018. To find out more about the fair click here.